In record time — less than two weeks after news broke of a breach of 80 million customer and employee records — Anthem has arranged to provide two years of free identity protection services to anyone impacted by the breach.
We applaud Anthem for working quickly over the last days to make this happen.
Starting Friday, February 13, you can visit www.AnthemFacts.com to learn how to enroll in two years of free credit monitoring and identity theft repair services if you are or were an Anthem member whose information was included in the compromised database.
Anthem plans to mail notifications to affected customers in the coming weeks, but you may visit the website before then.
If your data was breached, you can enroll in the following at no cost for two years:
- Identity Repair Assistance: If you experience fraud, an investigator will do the work to recover financial losses, restore your credit, and ensure your identity is returned to its proper condition. This assistance will cover any fraud that has occurred since the incident first began.
- Credit Monitoring: At no cost, you may also enroll in additional protections, including credit monitoring. Credit monitoring alerts consumers when banks and creditors use their identity to open new credit accounts.
- Child Identity Protection: Child-specific identity protection services will also be offered if you had children insured through your plan.
- Identity theft insurance: For individuals who enroll, the company has arranged for $1,000,000 in identity theft insurance, where allowed by law.
- Identity theft monitoring/fraud detection: For members who enroll, data such as credit card numbers, social security numbers and emails will be scanned against aggregated data sources maintained by top security researchers that contain stolen and compromised individual data, in order to look for any indication that your data has been compromised.
- Phone Alerts: If you register for this service and provide your contact information you will receive an alert when there is a notification from a credit bureau, or when it appears from identity theft monitoring activities that your identity may be compromised.
Industry standards under similar circumstances are to provide credit monitoring services for one year; however, Anthem is exceeding these standards and providing these identity protection and credit monitoring services to all impacted members for two years.
Anthem has taken seriously its priority to be transparent, protect your data, and give its members peace of mind.
We are continuing to stay apprised of the situation and will send out more information as we get it.
Please do visit the AnthemFacts website for more details, and give us a call if we can be of any assistance at (703) 707-8270.