Short-term health insurance is also called temporary health insurance. It provides coverage during life transitions.
Think of short-term coverage just like it sounds — temporary, for the short term. We don’t consider short-term coverage as a long-term solution. However, it does fill an important need.
The individual health insurance market is challenging. The options for Affordable Care Act-compliant coverage are unfavorable — premiums are high, provider access is limited, and deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums are through the roof.
We understand the temptation to go without health insurance. But that is very risky.
So, although we typically would not recommend a short-term plan as a long-term solution, if you are choosing between short-term coverage and no coverage at all — then a short-term plan is the better choice.
But please be sure you understand the limitations of short-term health insurance.
Limitations of Short-Term Health Insurance
Short term plans:
- are not Affordable Care Act-compliant. They don’t don’t cover things like preventive care, immunizations, maternity care, allergies, etc.
- do not cover pre-existing conditions.
- are not guaranteed issue. You can be denied for health reasons.
- are not guaranteed renewal. If you get sick, you may not be able to renew your coverage at the end of its term.
- do not exempt you from the tax penalty under the Affordable Care Act (this penalty will go away in 2019).
- are available onl for up to 184 days at a time. As of October 2, 2018, the longest you can be covered by a short term plan is 184 days. You can re-apply for another plan, but you may be denied for medical reasons. Short-term plans through Petersen can be renewed for up to 3 consecutive terms, without an exclusion for pre-existing conditions.
If you are currently uninsured and need temporary protection from an unexpected illness or injury, but cannot purchase permanent coverage at this time, we do recommend purchasing a short-term plan.
Even a short period without health insurance is not worth the risk.
Apply for Short-Term Coverage
Apply today for coverage as early as tomorrow.
Questions? Call us! 703.707.8270.