Welcome to Virginia Medical Plans’ enrollment guide for 2017 CareFirst BC/BS individual and family health plans.
CareFirst Health Insurance
CareFirst BC/BS is the “local Blue” for Maryland, the District of Columbia, and the following areas of northern Virginia:
- Cities of Alexandria and Fairfax;
- Town of Vienna;
- Arlington County;
- Areas of Fairfax and Prince William Counties lying east of Route 123.
About CareFirst Individual/Family Health Plans in 2017
- CareFirst is the only carrier offering true PPO plans in 2017 in Virginia, Maryland, and DC. PPO stands for Preferred Provider Organization, and these plans provide access to a wide national network of doctors, hospitals, and providers.
- If you live in Virginia, you can choose between silver and gold level HMO (Health Maintenance), POS (Point of Service), and PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) plans in 2017. There will be no bronze level plan sold in Virginia in 2017. Click here to learn about metal levels.
- DC residents can choose between HMO and PPO plans at each of the four metal levels: bronze, silver, gold, platinum. There will be no HSA-compatible plan in DC for 2017.
- If you live in Maryland, you can choose between bronze, silver, and gold level HMO, POS, and PPO plans.
- You can buy a CareFirst plan if you are subsidy eligible. Please note we do not sell subsidy-eligible plans in Maryland.
- CareFirst also offers dental coverage.
This page provides helpful information on CareFirst’s plans, including brochures, applications, drug formulary, and instructions to look up your provider.
2017 Plan Brochures and Comparison Charts
- District of Columbia:
2017 Drug Formulary
2017 Off Exchange Application (VA or MD)
2017 On Exchange Application (VA or DC)
- To apply online for a CareFirst 2017 ON EXCHANGE plan in Virginia, click here – Enter your Zip Code and click on “See Plans and Prices” to find a plan. Enroll and secure a subsidy.
- To apply for a CareFirst 2017 in DC, click here.
Look Up your Provider
Speak to a Licensed Agent
Our agents are available to help you select the best coverage for your needs.
Please call our office at 703-707-8270. We are happy to help!
Please be patient as we manage a high volume of calls and emails during open enrollment.