Beginning in January of 2014, health insurance plans must include items and services in the following 10 categories, known as essential health benefits under the Affordable Care Act (ACA):
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
Of course, plans can cover more, but not less, than these 10 essential benefits.
Virginia Medical Plans can help you pick the right plan — with the right combination of coverage and price — for you and your family.