If you live in Virginia and have individual Anthem BC/BS health insurance (vs. getting coverage through your employer), paying your premiums just got a little easier.
Anthem has launched a new program by which existing customers with Affordable Care Act-compliant individual health plans can set up recurring debit or credit card payments.
If you have an account on anthem.com (which we highly recommend!), when you click on the “Pay My Bill Online” link, you will be directed to Anthem’s WebPay portal.
On the Account Summary page on WebPay, click on the “Enroll Automatic Payment” button, and follow the instructions.
This is a great option to automate the process and ensure you’ll never miss a payment.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Set up recurring debit or credit card payments only after you’ve enrolled in coverage. Recurring payments cannot be set up on your enrollment application.
- Other payment methods have not changed — bank draft, one-time debit or credit card payments will continue to be processed as usual through WebPay. The pay-by-phone option has not changed.
- When deciding between setting up a recurring credit card payment vs. a recurring debit card (or electronic funds transfer – EFT) payment, consider the following:
- For credit card payments, you will need to make sure the card’s expiration date and other account information stays current. It will be your responsibility to notify Anthem of any changes to your credit card account to ensure premiums are paid on time. For example, if your credit card is stolen and you are issued a new card, you must remember to notify Anthem of the change.
- For EFT payments (debit card), the premium is taken directly out of your bank account each month and requires very little follow-up on your part.
It’s pretty straightforward and easy to set up.
If you have any questions or need help, it’s best to call the customer service number on the back of your Anthem ID card. Of course, we’ll do our best to answer any questions as well! You can reach us at 703-707-8270.