Our list of Affordable Care Act FAQs (organized by category) is intended to help you find answers to commonly asked questions. This list will continue to grow, so please check back frequently.
Don’t see your question here? Let us know and we’ll be sure to add it. Chances are, if you have a question, you are not the only one asking it!
- What is the future of COBRA?
- What are qualifying events for COBRA?
- If I currently have COBRA can I switch to a marketplace plan?
- I’m losing my work health insurance. Should I go on COBRA or an ACA plan?
Enrollment and Eligibility
- What is a special enrollment period?
- What is a qualifying event and what should I do if I have one?
- Can I buy health insurance outside of open enrollment?
- What is short-term insurance and should I buy it?
- What happens to my health insurance if I move to a new state?
- What are Open Enrollment dates for 2016 health insurance?
- How does the Affordable Care Act impact immigrants living in the U.S.?
- What are key dates for 2016 health insurance coverage?
- Am I eligible for a subsidy on my 2016 health insurance?
- Should I buy 2015 coverage on or off the exchange?
Employer Sponsored Group Coverage
- What is the Employer Mandate?
- What is a Cafeteria Plan?
- Should a small business owner shop for a group plan on SHOP or not?
Health Insurance – Understanding Your Policy
- What is an allowed amount?
- What is balance billing?
- What is co-insurance?
- What is a co-payment?
- What is a deductible?
- What is an out-of-pocket maximum?
- What is the difference between in-network and out-of-network care?
- How does cost sharing work between me and my insurance company?
- What types of health insurance are out there?
- What is a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)?
- What is a Health Savings Account (HSA)?
- What does a plan’s “metal level” mean?
- What essential health benefits must be covered under the Affordable Care Act?
- What is the difference between PREVENTIVE and DIAGNOSTIC medical services?
- Which preventive services and immunizations are fully covered for adults?
- Which preventive services and immunizations are fully covered for children and babies?
- Which preventive services and immunizations are fully covered for women?
- How long is my health insurance coverage effective?
- How do health insurance deductibles work?
- What should I do if my insurer denies my medical claim?
- What is an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) form?
- What is a Summary Plan Description?
- What information is found on my proof of coverage document?
- What should I do if my doctor says he’s not accepting Obamacare?
- How should I go about choosing the right health insurance plan?
- How does the Affordable Care Act affect Medicare?
- When do I need to sign up for Medicare?
- How do I sign up for Medicare?
- Will I be automatically enrolled in Medicare when I turn 65?
- When is the initial enrollment period for Medicare?
- I need help understanding the various parts of Medicare.
- Who counts as part of my tax household for health insurance purposes?
- How do premium tax credits work if my reported income is inaccurate?
- I thought my income was going to be below 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL), so applied for and got a premium subsidy. What happens if my income actually turns out to be greater than 400% FPL?
- If I have to repay some of the subsidy I received, is there a limit to how much I will need to repay?
- Can I ask for an adjustment to the amount of subsidy I receive when my income goes up or down?
- When will a premium subsidy adjustment take effect?
- How many times during a year can I adjust the amount of premium tax credit I receive?
- What are the income limits for being eligible for a subsidy for 2016 health insurance?
- What are the penalties for not having health insurance in 2016?
- How will the Affordable Care Act affect my 2015 tax filing?
- How do I file health insurance information with my taxes?
Young Adults and Students
- As a young adult what are my options for health insurance?
- Why should I buy health insurance if I am young and healthy?
- Should young adults stay on their parents’ health insurance policy?
- Can I live in a different state than my parents and still be covered on their health insurance?
- My new job offers health insurance but can I still stay on my parents’ policy?